Saturday, July 2, 2011

Songs of the Moment 7/2/11 - Summer Ballads '11

AHHHH! Too much great music this summer! My playlists have been pretty much flawless for each and every occasion with all of the fabulous new stuff that's been coming out. For the third time on this blog, I'm bringing the highlights straight to ya with this post. Like usual, there was too much good stuff so I've expanded the 10-song limit I try for to 13 songs, 11 of which were released in the past few months. Not only are these song brand-spanking-new, they pretty much cover anything you're looking for this summer. A little rebellion, lots of excitement, some love, boat loads of memories, a few relaxing breaks...it's all here. We'll start with the really exciting stuff and then turn to the more chill tunes as we go down the list. Turns out we have a few awesome music videos with this group so make sure you don't miss out on those. Let's not waste any more time!

1. 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix) - Gorillaz
"It's the music that we choose."
What a perfect line of lyrics to start off the playlist! This song is actually several years old, but it's brand new to me. It's my most-listened-to tune out of this group over the past few weeks so it deserves to be here. The Gorillaz released out one last album this year and now they're over so it's cool to go back to their first album with this song as a way of showing appreciation for all they great stuff that has come from the project. This groove, like most Gorlliaz grooves, is inescapable and if you see me cruising around this summer, this is the song I'll probably be blasting.



2. Young Blood - The Naked and Famous
"You keep my secrets, hope to die. Promises...swear them to the sky."
This was the main song on my mind during the last hours of high school. The mood of this song screams summer and fits in with the post-graduation feel as well. I was thrilled to hear it in a TV commercial this week cause it seems to be gaining popularity as it should be. I'm a huge fan of the softer bit in the middle of the song and the male/female team vocalizing throughout. That strong, bass-drum beat is contagious!



3. Deer In the Headlights - Owl City
"Didn't you know love could shine this bright?"
Unfortunately I haven't picked up the new Owl City album, but this single had me hooked from the first listen. Adam Young's sound is always at home in the summer and I'm liking him more and more as he continues putting songs out. I'm always attracted to electronic stuff in the summer and this tune is almost perfect. Check it out.



4. Holiday - Swimming With Dolphins
"Does anything feel strange? Cause you're like a perfect dream and I'm afraid to awake."
A few years back, before "Fireflies", Owl City's master Adam Young started Swimming With Dolphins with his buddy Austin Tofte. When Adam saw some solo success, he left the project, which continued without him. It's too bad for Adam, cause I'm liking Swimming With Dolphin's new music is so much more than anything from Owl City. It deserves an equally large fanbase, in my opinion. This is the best album of the summer so far, hands down. Here's a taste:



5. Stamp - The Rural Alberta Advantage
All young lovers, you'll find another."
I'd say The Rural Alberta Advantage is an acquired taste, especially when it comes to the lead voice. I honestly can't get enough of it. The new album received much more attention than their first and for good reason. Watch the music video and you'll see this band's attractive quirkiness in action. The drummer is beyond commendable and this powerful tune owes a lot to him. See what you think.



6. The Valley - Eisley
"I don't see everything as right and wrong."
Eisley's new album shocked me. I wasn't super impressed by the last one, but now I love these guys! The whole CD is well-suited to the summer, but The Valley is especially catchy. The strings and piano, and the transitions between them, really set this song up to be a favorite of mine. All of the cool sounds work really well together and create some unique chords. This is one of those songs that makes me serious jealous about others' songwriting skills.



7. Work In Progress - The Dangerous Summer
"Even death can bring a man to life."
No summer playlist of mine is complete without The Dangerous Summer, one of my favorite bands (I'm wearing their t-shirt and looking at their poster right now!). These guys recently released two singles in anticipation for their new album, which is only two weeks out. I'm thrilled with what they're coming up with...this stuff is more mature than their last album and the lyrics are getting even stronger (keep in mind that each of the members is only about 22 years old). This tune right here is empowering and has an insanely awesome chorus. Keep an eye out for this band.



8. The Sun Shines At Night - The Submarines
"We had the summer of our lives."
Here's another band I got my second album from and this tune is definitely the frontrunner. I'm always a fan of the duel, male/female vocals and this band is excellent at it! I think this song is incredibly enjoyable in just about any summer setting; it just makes you feel good! Now if only I could make those lyrics applicable in my life...



9. Say It Like You Mean It - The Cinema
"I don't mean it like I say it and you don't say it like you mean it."
Remember Lydia, that band I'm crazy about? Well here's the short story: Last summer, Lydia's members start leaving. Leighton Antelman (lead singer and one of my top idols) announces split up and they have their farewell tour, which I went to. I'm super sad. After tour, the drummer convinces Leighton to keep going with Lydia. Lydia lives on and the only two remaining members start writing a new CD. While recording, Leighton creates a new project with the producer he's working with and here you go: The Cinema. This has been the most exciting group for me this summer. It's brand new, it's super catchy, and there's more soon to come. It's nothing like Lydia, but I love it. Enjoy!



10. Hiccups - Jinja Safari
"Party up, would you like to come?"
Jinja Safari's an up-and-coming band from Australia, you'll see them back in my best of 2010 list. I think it's amazing that today's technology and communication allows me to be obsessed with them! They're releasing the songs on their second EP one by one for free over the summer and each one packs a punch with their incredibly unique jungle sound. I think you'll really like it. Here's their leading tune



11. My Favorite Dream - Mae
"All I really know is that your hold on me is way too strong to be just a part of my imagination."
This is from my first of Mae's albums, which is sadly also their last. I honestly don't think they could have created a better finale. Due to an impressive leading ballad and passionate 18-minute piano solo, I was instantly captivated by these guys. My Favorite Dream is the song that convinced me to buy the CD. I really appreciate its lyrics and the feel that the composition puts behind the concept. Don't miss out.



12. July Flame - Laura Veirs
"Can I call you mine?"
This song belongs in last summer's list, but it caught my attention a bit too late. With July just starting, I figured it had to be here. This song's referrences to the summer make it extra suitable. Fireworks, lemonade, kites, peaches, a bit of summer longing. I'm enthralled with every listen. The changing mood created by its simple piano line, violin, and backing vocals is something extra special. Tell me what you think.



13. Atlantic - Sleeping At Last
Sleeping At Last is going strong with their year-long series of EPs. This tune is from the June EP, their 9th (only three left...that makes me sad). As with each set of songs in the past, this tune embraces its respective season and is different from the other tunes in that is was written for summer. The leading comment on YouTube says that this song is what love sounds like...I think that's an excellent way of putting it. No singing here, just the piano and cello at their very best. PS: I just listened to the July EP a few hours ago and I really think it's my favorite so far...I'll supply you guys with a sample as soon as it shows up online.



My favorite on the list? I'd have to say Atlantic or Holiday right now, but it changes with the days. Here's a few other summer tunes you might be interested in:
Good Times - Swimming With Dolphins
Civilian - Wye Oak
In The Summertime - The Rural Alberta Advantage
Shell Games - Bright Eyes
You Are A Tourist - Death Cab For Cutie
Sore Spores - Bobby
Beautiful Inside - Katie Herzig
Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall - Coldplay
Lifeline - Imogen Heap

If you're looking for a good summer album, try the ones by Eisley, Swimming With Dolphins, and Mae.

Thanks for stopping by! Share your own summer '11 favorites so I can beef up my list!

1 comment:

  1. July Flame...Eaglewood fireworks??
    I really like it :)Words can fail when they are by themselves, but put them to music? Never. They will never cease to make me feel. Thanks for sharing Kyle!

    ReplyDelete