Love and the struggle for it are clear themes among the group, often accompanied with a bittersweet sincerity and not-so-happy endings. Through the length of the list, a battle between high energy and relaxing composition persists. That's often the case among my favorites, but this time I feel emphasized extremes. It all comes down to a final dual where, ultimately, high energy seized the top spot. This list is still somewhat of a novelty to me, but I foresee many of these new finds becoming old favorites.
Here they are, the best 2014 had to offer for someone deeply in love with music:
51. In Harmony - Ásgeir
50. I Want You - Tina Dico
49. Tremors - Sohn
48. Insel - Juli
47. Wild and Wasted - Blondfire
46. Don't Leave - Seven Lions ft. Ellie Goulding
45. Green and Gold - Lanterns On The Lake
44. The Wild Life - Vacationer
43. You Haunt Me - Sir Sly
42. Cannibal - Silversun Pickups
41. Midnight - Coldplay
40. This Love - Taylor Swift (copyright block)
39. Hold Me Tight - Berlinist
38. Sordid Affair - Röyksopp ft. Man Without Country
37. Muscle Memory - Lights
36. Eyes Off You - Bombay Bicycle Club
35. Stay With Me - Sam Smith
34. Wasting My Young Years - London Grammar
33. Going Down - The Cinema
32. Luna - Bombay Bicycle Club
31. Running With The Boys - Lights
30. Body - Niia
29. A Sky Full of Stars - Coldplay
28. Whispers - Passenger
27. Warm Foothills - Alt-J
26. Discoloration - Dawn Golden
25. Perfect World - Broken Bells
24. Ten Tonne Skeleton - Royal Blood
23. Atonement - Anberlin
22. We Are Giants - Lindsey Stirling ft. Dia Frampton
21. Long Long Way - Damien Rice
20. Wasteland - Needtobreathe
19. Background - Barcelona
18. Up We Go - Lights
17. Say Something - A Great Big World
"Anywhere, I would've followed you"
16. Fellow Feeling - Porter Robinson
"And now, I cry for all that is beautiful."
15. Always In My Head - Coldplay
"This, I guess, is to tell you you're chosen out from the rest."
14. The Brink - The Jezabels
"We all wanted something real."
13. Sad Machine - Porter Robinson
"We depend on you."
12. No Country - The Jezabels
"Gotta get made of make-believe."
11. Fire Escape - Foster the People
"All the young faces come and replace the dying ones."
10. Fall in Love - Barcelona
"If forever's gonna last then we'd better find the same direction."
9. All This Love - Angus & Julia Stone
"All of me is all for you."
8. Break the Cycle - You+Me
"Love is louder than all your pain."
7. Say My Name - Odesza
"I always fall for confidence and your compliments look good on me."
6. Love Don't Go - The Family Crest
"We went off with a spark, but you were left out in the dark."
5. Back To Life - Wolf Gang
"I wouldn't be the man I am without your love."
4. Beat To Beat - The Jezabels
"Want a medal? Start a war."
3. Last Train - Dawn Golden
"I'll be right here when you call my name, waiting."
2. When the Lights Go Out - The Family Crest
"Know that I am with you here."
Something worth mentioning here... this is my sixth year doing this.
Best song of 2009 was solo piano
2010 was bass-led soft rock
2011 was pure-energy from a DJ
2012 was solo piano
2013 was bass-led soft rock
Yeah, you guessed it.
1. Divinity - Porter Robinson ft. Amy Millan
"We will wait for this."