Monday, January 16, 2012

Best of 2011 - Albums

I'm a proponent of albums. I hate when people say they love a band after falling for one or two of that group's songs (Curse you Twilight fans!!!). You can't be a true fan of an artist if you don't love their albums - their work in full. Albums can communicate messages more powerfully, they can build moods more efficiently, and they showcase an artist's talents more thoroughly. I'm choosing from 52 albums here, making this the largest item pool aside from songs. I'll build a bigger list (17 items sounds good) and hopefully I won't say so much about each one.

17. Metal Meets - Ohbijou
I'm oh so glad I found Ohbijou last month. The frontwoman's distinguished voice works well with the soft melodies, smooth string parts, and strong bass lines in this somewhat sultry set of songs (Ask me if I admire alliteration and I'll answer affirmatively). These songs are for swinging back and forth to.

16. Departing - The Rural Alberta Advantage
Speaking of unique voices, The Rural Alberta Advantage's leading voice is like the sore thumb of singing...I sore thumb that I adore! This is my second CD from these guys and I'm well pleased. A good road trip album, for sure.

15. Barton Hollow - The Civil Ways
The Civil Wars are folk music's strongest presence in my collection right now. I mean, I've got some fairly folky/country-ish stuff, but the twang is strong with this one and, for once, I love the twang. This album oughta be mighty fine in a nice campfire setting.

14. Hell or High Water - Elevation
Elevation's first album came out in 2007 and I absolutely loved it. I thought for sure they'd fallen off the map after that, but then this CD came out of nowhere to almost instantly take my money away. If any band knows how to put together powerhouse rock anthems, it's Elevation. These songs are super easy to belt out loud and they're tied together by a strong Death Valley-inspired mood.

13. Welcome To My DNA - Blackfield
Steven Wilson, the singer of Porcupine Tree and one of my favorite musicians, released a solo album this year, but he also released a much better one with his buddy Aviv Geffen in the band Blackfield. Unlike Steven Wilson's other work, Blackfield includes brilliant string orchestration that, like the album cover suggests, makes me feel like I'm flying high among clouds.

12. Until We Have Faces - Red
Red is a new heavy rock band (almost metal at times) in my collection, but this album is beautiful. Forceful vocals, noisy rock instruments, and gorgeous strings (I like strings, can you tell?) are combined to send forth some of the most powerful messages I've heard in music to date. And it all ends with one of the sweetest piano pieces I've ever heard. You'll see that one in my song list.

11. Dynamite Steps - The Twilight Singers
I consider The Twilight Singers one of my greatest finds of the year. None of these songs made it into my list of top songs, but when they're together they create a range of feeling I'm very passionate about, mainly because I don't know any other bands that are even kinda like this. Here's a taste.

10. My Blood Is Full of Airplanes - The Cinema
So after a farewell tour and an official statement marking the end of Lydia...the two remaining members decided to keep it going this year! Unfortunately, their new CD had a ton of profanity and was utterly disappointing. It's not all bad though; Leighton Antelman, the singer of Lydia and probably my most favorite musician right now, had a second project, The Cinema, with Lydia's producer. This electronic bunch of songs includes both of my most played songs of 2011.

9. Suego Faults - Wolf Gang
It only took a few seconds of sampling for me to want Suego Faults by Wolf Gang. I like to call this awesome up-and-coming band a better version of Foster The People. That is probably all I need to tell you.

8. The Reckoning - Needtobreathe
Christian rock? Whuh!? Needtobreathe is that one inspirational band that Nickelback, Daughtry, and all other similar groups tried and failed to become. In fact, I sorta feel bad about comparing this band to those other hooligans. They're music is inspired, soulful, and ridiculously heart-warming. I just wanna give these guys a hug.

7. Water Colours - Swimming With Dolphins
Once upon a time, Adam Young (the man behind Owl City) was working with his buddy on a project called Swimming With Dolphins. Then Fireflies got super popular and Adam Young left. Unfortunately for Adam, Swimming With Dolphins continued without him and released a CD that kicked Owl City's butt. The end. This music has a male and a female voice and I prefer that over a voice that sounds like a mix of the two, which is kinda what Adam's sounds like (sorry Adam, I love ya!).

6. (E)vening - Mae
I'm extremely sad that my first album from Mae turned out to be their last before splitting up. I wasn't there for the journey, but I was certainly touched by this conclusion. Featuring an 11-minute piano solo, composed and performed by the band's drummer (Wow!), and one of my top songs of the year, this album easily became my most played CD of the year. I haven't known Mae for long, but I'll miss them all the same.

5. Gracious Tide, Take Me Home - Lanterns On The Lake
Another awesome new band, Lanterns On The Lake provides that floaty-rock style (think Sigur Rós) that I always fall for. This band, hailing from the UK, plays the sort of stuff I wouldn't mind listening to in the last moments of my life. Yes, it's that beautiful.

4. Something To Die For - The Sounds
The Sounds! I saw them at my first concert ever, but they were kinda out-shined by Paramore and No Doubt that evening and I never gave them more than the occasional listen. This year, they demanded my attention with a new electronic/rock hybrid that became my top pick for Christmas and my favorite out of that bunch. This album's for all the party people out there.

3. The Valley - Eisley
Missing these guys in their September concert is one of my greatest regrets of the year. The album I got from them wasn't anything special in my opinion, but this round of music is catchy, beautiful, and lyrically communicative all at once! You need a band like Eisley in your collection.

2. War Paint - The Dangerous Summer
At the beginning of the year, I called The Dangerous Summer my second favorite band. After this album, and regardless of my disappointment concerning Lydia, The Dangerous Summer has overtaken Lydia and now reigns as my #1 band. This band's words are so inspiring. They don't worry about patterns or rhymes; it all comes from the heart. And to think...they're only a few years older then me! A great example in the music industry. I'm so grateful I was able to meet them.

1. Waves - Moving Mountains
This image elicits so many amazing emotions. I'm not going to lie. This album is hard to connect to; it's not the most catchy or melodic thing around, but this is a musical masterpiece if I've ever known one. Atmosphere, power, beauty...this album has it all. This album is about seizing the most definitive moments of life, about recognizing the beauty of all that has been placed before us. I can't get enough.

That right there is a fabulous bunch. It pained me to restrict this list to 17 because this year, for the first time, I loved each and every album I got. When Adele's 21, Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto, and Death Cab for Cutie's Codes & Keys don't crack the top 17, you know you had a fabulous year in music. I'll bring it all to an end tomorrow with my list of top songs, which is certainly the most impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment