Monday, January 16, 2012

Best of 2011 - Video Games



Now I'm not going to post a list of my favorite YouTube videos of the year (that would take way too long to figure out...), but if I did, ^this video^ would win. For gamers, 2011 was a powerhouse year, the greatest in video game history. This video is the perfect summary of a gamer's 2011 life, mixing the year's top titles with scenes from the Japan earthquake, Bin Laden raid, and other huge events. There are about 100 games in the video, and I can think of at least 5 that aren't in it at all. So yeah...huge year in games. I could only get my hands on a small portion of them. Watch the video if you haven't and then check out which are my favorite.

10. Dead Island
Zombie games are usually all about mindless fun. Dead Island dares to put a little emotion in the mix. I like Dead Island for its shot at realism. Weapons break over time, guns and bullets are far from plentiful, and people stranded across the zombie-infested island are waiting for your help. Your leading goal is to escape the island, but the game makes it frustratingly difficult to do so, as it should be. It's emphasis on cooperative play makes fighting for survival extra fun.
9. Dead Space 2

I'm a chicken when it comes to Dead Space 2, I'm still not even close to beating it, but it's so darn thrilling! Dead Space 2 creates a better scary atmosphere than any other I've seen and would surely rank higher in this list if I could muster a bit more courage or get a Dead Space 2 buddy by my side.
8. Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age 2's story is no good compared to the first game's, but the game is too good-looking and socially intricate to discount. When an evil force pushes your family from your hometown, you have no choice but to make yourself known in Kirkwall, a giant fantasy city. The people you team up with and the impressive amount of side quests you can take on makes Dragon Age 2 a complex, satisfying experience.

7. L.A. Noire

L.A. Noire is one-of-a-kind. You play detective and solve cases...seems lame, but the recreation of 1940's L.A. and the impressive facial animations (the faces in this game are so detailed that the game requires three discs) make L.A. stylistically addictive. I've put 80 hours into the game, more than any other this year. This game is stellar.
6. Batman: Arkham City
Here's Metacritics' #1 game of the year. This game is everything Batman...play as Catwoman, Nightwing, Robin...fight Two Face, the Riddler, the Penguin, Joker, none of which is the primary threat. It's a blast.

5. Dungeon Siege 3
Dungeon Siege 3 got pretty bad reviews across the board, but I loved it enough to play it for 60 hours during the summer. It's not a super impressive game, but oh man is it fun. Two thumbs up from me.
4. Battlefield 3
My dad loves Battlefield, so I decided to team up with him on this installment for the first time. Nothing is quite like a 64-person match...that's right; 64 hardcore gamers in the same match. Even better is scoring first place in such a match, which I can do surprisingly often. Usually I'm a single-player guy, but the competition in this game is oh so thrilling.

3. Saints Row: The Third
Absolutely ludicrous. Saints Row: The Third doesn't shy away from anything. Skydive in your underwear? Sure. Rob a clothing store in a bunny suit? Why not? Take out zombies while doing wheelies on a motorcycle? Definitely. Bizarre, but oh so enjoyable.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Skyrim is arguably the biggest game ever. There are just SO many possibilities. One of the funnest experiences I've had in a game this year was playing hide and seek with children in this game...who thought a video game would ever include that as an option? Skyrim is like The Lord of the Rings of video gaming. Epic. Still, not the best for me.

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I'm a story gamer. I crave awesome atmospheres, strong characters, and engaging plots. Deus Ex: Human Revolution excels at all three. It just makes you feel awesome. It also seems to fancy the number 17 and to reference Mormons a lot. Anyway, it takes place a decade or two in the future where humans can receive cybernetic implants and prosthetics. Purists rise up against this 'pollution' of the human body and start a human revolution. Your character was forced to receive many of these mechanical enhancements after a lethal injury. They are the only reason you are alive. All of these elements amount to a killer experience that I have yet to finish.

More hours of enjoyment are contained in this list than any other. I love gaming and always will. And does the gaming industry slow down after this impressive year? Heck no! Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3...the reign of sequels continues. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment