Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Best of 2013 - Video Games

For the last birthday I had in my mission, I asked my parents for little else than to have a few video games waiting for me when I got home. I knew beforehand that some great titles were set for release in 2013, I knew I was missing out while everyone else was enjoying them, and now here, at the end, I'm sure that 2013 was a fantastic year for gamers. Furthermore, this top ten list is the strongest I have ever presented here.

The gaming industry flared up toward the end of the year thanks to the release of the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. For me, however, the greatest experiences of the year came before the update in graphics, and an impressive array it was. More and more, I see video games turning toward lasting storytelling, impressive moments, and clever ideas. Video gaming as a whole isn't the same hack-and-slash, point-hoarding hobby it used to be. Fantastic stories are being told through gaming in ways no other medium could do it. Let's take a look at some examples in my top ten.

But first, what's dominated in years past?
2009 Runner-Up: Lego Rock Band
2009 Winner:  Assassin's Creed 2

2010 Runner-Up: Mass Effect 2
2010 Winner: Rock Band 3

2011 Runner-Up: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2011 Winner: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2012 Runner-Up: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
2012 Winner: Mass Effect 3

(Comments to come)

10. Gone Home


9. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons


8. Dead Rising 3


7 Saints Row IV


6. State of Decay


5. Bioshock: Infinite


4. Rocksmith 2014


3. Tomb Raider


2. Last of Us


1. Beyond: Two Souls

No comments:

Post a Comment