Friday, January 8, 2010

Best of 2009

2009 blew my mind in so many ways. It was undeniably the worst year and the best year of my life with all of the crazy stuff that was going on. I've decided that I need to pay a little tribute to some of the things that made 2009 so amazingly awesome with a couple of countdowns of my favorite things in several categories. So here we go!

Best Movies
5. X-men Origins: Wolverine-I'm a sucker for anything Marvel, and this one was quite good
4. The Blind Side-An extremely touching movie, I loved every minute of it
3. Terminator: Salvation-I loved this way more than the other Terminator movies, it actually put me in a bit of a craze with its awesomeness
2. Knowing-I didn't expect this one to be any good, but it was actually very impressive
1. 9-This one definitely deserves much more attention. I can't get enough of it and I would recommend it to anyone (I'm afraid it might be dethroned by Avatar as soon as I get around to seeing it)

Best Video Games
5. Band Hero-when I first saw it, I thought it was a joke, but I've grown to love it's style and song selection over that of Guitar Hero 5, which would be #6
4. DJ Hero-a very interesting, brand new peripheral makes this game exciting and interesting and it's original remixes have me hooked!
3. Left 4 Dead 2-I would have liked to have seen more improvements, but still a brilliantly terrifying and enjoyable game
2. Lego Rock Band-the whole lego idea is always fun and interesting, but my reason for placing this one in the second position is for is far superior song selection, I love it!
1. Assassin's Creed 2-I loved the first game despite every else's complaints, but the major improvements here have increased my admiration of this series tenfold! Ezio for the win!!!

Best Achievements
5. Driver's License-a very cool achievement, no doubt, but it honestly didn't require much effort
4. 4 on AP Euro Exam-this one, on the other hand, took the most time and effort. It definitely brought me the most relief and satisfaction with all of my hard work over the year
3. Obtained 3rd viola chair out of ten in the Davis Youth Symphony-I was really worried about my audition for this one, but 3rd out of ten of the best violists in the county? Awesome!!!
2. Maintained 4.0 Cumulative GPA-IB pushed me on this one, but I've stayed strong this first semester to remain one of the only eleven juniors who still have this cumulative GPA
1. Voted "Most Outstanding Orchestra Member of the Year"-Sophomore Year-I did not see this one coming, even in my wildest dreams. Despite the obviously far superior talent elsewhere in orchestra, the group voted me the Most Outstanding Orchestra Member of the Year. What makes this extra cool is that I was a sophomore and a violist, which are two reasons that make me even more surprised. I'm very proud of this recognition because of my love for my orchestra, but I still don't see how it happened.

Best Experiences
5. Renovated third garage for my car (December 31)-that's right, the very last day of the year. Well my dad did say it would happen by the end of the year... Now my awesome car finally has some shelter from the cruel weather that has been going on lately, and I don't have to be as cold driving to school!
4. Academic Olympiad (November 18)-I've never hurt so much from laughing. Chosen to represent BHS in a series of tests and competitions, I was joined by eight others, including my best friend Trevor who joined at the last minute (I'm not kidding, it was THE last minute), in one of the funnest days of my life. We actually almost won the quiz game between the 30-or-so high schools, but it really was all about each other's company and the good memories involved.
3. Moved bedroom to the basement (October 17)-every teenagers' dream! It has been an interesting change, but I love the seclusion and freedom from my sisters and the nearness I have to so many enjoyable places in my house.
2. Turning 16 (February 17)-I couldn't wait to be sixteen (who can?) and to get started with the full blown high school experience. This birthday was particularly nice because of all of the recognition and hopeful wishes I received from my friends and family.
1. No Doubt/Paramore/The Sounds Concert with Melissa Regis (May 25)-I would probably even place this as the single best experience of my entire life. It was the first concert I had ever been to and I don't think there could have been a much better show to be my first than what Paramore and No Doubt laid out. They are both beyond amazing! It was made even more amazing by serving as one of my first dates, and I couldn't thank Melissa enough for accompanying me.

Best Trips
5. Various Boating Trips (throughout summer)-the first full summer with our boat resulted in many incredible trips and fun moments. I'm surprised how much enjoyment I was able to squeeze out of the whole thing
4. Seattle with immediate family (April)-I'd never been to Seattle and had always been interested to pay a visit. I got a chance to do just that this summer and I've decided that its one of the coolest cities in existence.
3. EFY with Trevor Wilson (June)-EFY was this was amazing. I had so much fun with Trevor and with the other awesome people in our group, who came from all over the country. This was definitely the hardest trip to put an end to.
2. Orchestra Trip (February)-Orchestra! My favorite group of people ever! I would have hated myself for missing out on this trip. It wouldn't have been nearly as fun without my good friend Darrell by my side 24/7 for four days. I had the time of my life and I can't wait for the trip in 2010!
1. Lake Powell with extended family (August)-I wasn't looking forward to this trip as much as with the other ones, but this year's Lake Powell trip blew me away. I had the best time I've ever had with my mom's side of my extended family and I crave another round next summer.

Best Albums
5. Light by Matisyahu-nothing but beautiful songs of hope and inspiration here. It's a stretch from my usual taste in music, but I love Matisyahu's lyrics and purpose in writing music. I've enjoyed his music in the past, but this album is his best by far.
4. Sound of Defeat-EP by Until June-I think it's pretty impressive for this one to make the list, considering that it only has six songs. Each one of them is really cool and together they create a sound that has given Until June a new musical identity that I absolutely adore.
3. Compass by Assemblage 23-This album also greatly changed my view of its artist. Assemblage 23's sound went from being dark and raw to being extremely uplifting and cheerful for me. I love the feeling I get whenever I listen to this wonderful music.
2. Yeah Ghost by Zero 7-This album is like nothing I've ever listened to in my life, but I'm addicted to it. It will, no doubt, cause some eyes to roll and hands to reach to turn off the stereo, but there's something about Zero 7's new style will have me forever captivated.
1. Spain by Between the Trees-Here it is, the album of year and definitely one of the best albums of the decade. If you're looking for love songs, this whole album is for you. If you aren't, this whole album is for you. Every word and note is so heartfelt and thought through that my heart and mind almost can't take it. I can't wait to find that special person so that I can share this music with them and I have a strong desire to make this album the trademark of such a relationship. Words don't do a very good job at describing how I feel about it.

Best Songs-this one will be coming in a later post because I still need a lot of time to decide. It's a really frustrating process with all of the amazing music of this year. I will, of course, be including much more than only five contenders in this category, so make sure you check back for them!

There it is, an amazing year full of things and memories that I will continue to cherish for the rest of my life. I'm interested to see how 2010 can top it, but I'm convinced that it will!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome year! I love how the orchestra award was your favorite. :) I'm glad that you had a good year!

    ReplyDelete