Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Songs of the Moment 1/19/10 - Best Songs of 2009

Here they are, my most favorite songs of 2009, countdown style! Keep in mind: I was introduced to much fantastic music throughout this year, but this list is limited to songs that actually were released this past year. Still, it has taken me three weeks of painful decisions to come up with this list of my seventeen favorites songs of 2009, which were picked from a whopping 304 songs. I think it's extremely interesting how this line up turned out after having compared the countless memories throughout the year that are tied with each of these songs. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!!!
PS: Props to Muse, Moby, Paramore, Matisyahu, Porcupine Tree, and Creed, which all had songs that narrowly missed this list that have also played a huge part in making this year of music so fantastic for me!

17. The World Ends Tonight by Until June
"If the world ends tonight, will you stay by my side?"
Until June hit me hard with their new half-album this year, which was actually one of my very favorite new releases. I never expected them to stand out so much for me, but this new style of theirs is so captivating. The vocals are the highlight of this song, making the lyrics seem so heartfelt and true. A great song for those late night drives with a loved one :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSvNxb1XWQ

16. Don't Haunt This Place by The Rural Alberta Advantage

"We wish you'd come back because we need this oh so bad, because I need you oh so bad."
I've told you guys about thisone before, and it's awesomeness has earned it a second stop on my blog. This song is so unique in my book. It's got the crazy, breakneckly fast drum part, but is somehow still a very mellow song for me with it's cello part and amazing male/female vocal duet. I'm addicted the quirky new style that this band has introduced me to. I wish all music was more like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdrkZMYpA

15. Wonderful by Gary Go
"We are all miracles wrapped up in chemicals. We are incredible. Don't take it for granted."
If you know me, then you know that I'm a sucker for anything and everything inspirational. I was fortunate to come upon one of the most inspirational songs I've heard in a long time. It was actually the free single of the week a few months back, and definitely the best iTunes has had all year (yes, even better than Fireflies *bleh*).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28s_wyqkyc

14. Spark by Assemblage 23
"One dream that's worth defending. One love that's never-ending."
This is another empowering song, in more ways than one, which I haven't seen the like of in any of Assemblage 23's earlier stuff. I really enjoy the turn they've taken with songs more like these, they make me feel invincible. This song outlines the realization that, if you try, you can become the kind of person who can stand up for their beliefs and change the world. I thrive thanks to this type of music. (click on the Spark on the list on the linked website)
http://www.myspace.com/officialassemblage23

13. Medicine Man by Zero 7
"Keep on keeping on."
This one seems totally out of place on this list with it's funky style and crazy vocals, but I'm addicted to it all the same. I don't think I've ever had so much fun dancing to a song, or ever had a tougher time resisting that urge when this song starts up. As the song says: "Contagious, simply outrageous!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRkzkIWmo-o

12. By The Time by Mika & Imogen Heap

"Tell me, how am I supposed to care?"
Here is where we start turning toward the more emotional section of this list. This is basically a breakup song, but it's so much deeper than that. Mika and Imogen Heap is basically the dream team for a song like this. They're vocals are spot-on emotionally. In fact, I love them so much that they each have a song of their own that has made it past this point in my list. I hope for more amazing combinations such as this in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-qzhfc_F1k

11. A Promise by Broken Records
"And if our hearts all disappear and if our bones, they crumble to the soil, our love will rise again."
Here is another sad one, but it does have a hint of hope. I love this one for the unbelievably beautiful quartet/piano parts and the perfectly fitting voice that goes with them. Another I love about this song is the transition from sadness to hope that is right in the middle, with both halves equally amazing musically and emotionally. Don't miss out on this one
http://www.rhapsody.com/player?type=undefined&id=alb.28190270&remote=undefined&page=undefined&pageregion=undefined&guid=undefined&from=undefined&__pcode=

10. I See You by Mika
"You mean the world to me, but you'll never know..."
Here's Mika's well-deserved position on this list. While his album has some songs that I find extremely annoying, there is an equal amount of truly outstanding songs in there as well, and here is the best of them all. This one's a would-be pick for the soundtrack of my life. A story of dreaming about love, this song was incredibly easy for me to grasp and make my own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZJ1I1NBJs

9. Spain by Between The Trees
"The rest of the world can wait cause I've been waiting for you."
This is the first of the three songs here from my most favorite album of the year (which has the same title). These songs have become so incredibly special and personal for me that I almost can't bear the emotion that they always incite within me. This particular song is one of the best love songs in history with it's love-filled lyrics and beautiful melody. Don't let this song go by unnoticed in this world. It deserves to get out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-KvdOHja6s

8. Nobody Knows You by Until June
"Nobody loves you like I do."
Until June jas impressed me further with yet another amazing tune. This one, believe it or not, is even more lovely than their other song on this list. The best thing about it is that I can't decide if this is a happy or sad song. It drags me both ways emotionally and I always love those types of songs the most. Take a listen and decide for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_RDDIQbI4

7. Scarecrow by Between The Trees
"Maybe I wasn't made for this world."
Scarecrow is the second song here from my highlighted band of the year, Between The Trees. This is actually the only one on the album that isn't a love song, but it hits me all the same. I'm sure this one would easily claim a spot on the soundtrack of my life. I guess it's kind of a depressing song, but there's something about the truthfulness behind it that I adore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQWr32tP7s

6. Wide Awake by Making April
"I was dying for our moment to arrive, now I'm running further just to feel alive."
This song melts my heart, mainly because I can relate to it so amazingly well. It's about the hopelessness of a dreamed love, which is a concept that I've seen so much in my life and in the lives of others. Everything about this song is perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUHLUjsQzc


5. Panic Switch by The Silversun Pickups
"If I go everywhere you want me to go, how will I know you'll still follow?"

I get crazy when this song starts playing, more so than with pretty much any song I've ever heard. The Silversun Pickups's songs are so powerful and passionate. Something about their electronic rock always gets my blood pumping. This song is unique among the others on this list because the lyrics have nothing to do with why I like it so much. The beat and rhythms alone have helped this song get so high on my list. I can't wait to see these guys live in April! That will be the best day of my life!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFGguX2SZM


4. Half Life by Imogen Heap

"You know you'll never be lonely, you know you'll always be loved, and maybe you never need more than that."
I have a very special, personal connection to this song. It's something that I don't want to share, but this song got me through September, the toughest part of 2009, an experience I thought I'd never get through. Never has a song brought so many tears to my eyes...I'm seriously quivering right now just listening to it. Imogen Heap pulls at hearts in ways I never thought possible. She has blessed my life with this song and I could never thank her enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEbPISJQ4BY

3. Gimme Sympathy by Metric
"We're so close to something better left unknown."

This was my song of the summer, the song of incredible memories of good company and fantastic times. I am always in the mood for this song. I don't know how it's come to please me so much, being that it's so simple, but it's the type of song I'd want playing over a slideshow of my life with friends. I really can't put my finger on it. You'll have to tell me what you think. (Pay close attention to this music video, it's got something extremely cool going on in it and it's definitely my favorite music video of the year)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqldwoDXHKg

2. Where I Want To Be by The Dangerous Summer
"There is something in your face that pulls me far enough away."
I know this is a repeat on my blog too, but it fully deserves another appearance here. This one's got a very similar feel to that of Gimme Sympathy, but it's more focused on being happy in love. I always have a great big smile while listening to Where I Want To Be. It just makes me want to go out and be there for someone. It gives me all kinds of satisfaction for what I already have and hope for where I want to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_K1lywPZms&feature=related

1. Changed By You by Between The Trees
"Please just say you'll let me forever be whatever you need."

Somehow I knew this song would make it right in this spot when I was only a few seconds into my very first listen to it about two months ago, and now here it is. It's amazing how that works out. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm quite the loving fellow, and words can't explain the feelings this song brings about in my mind and my heart. I'll leave the first impression up to you. I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBbKNp-OwE

There they are, the songs that have guided my life over the past year. I've had a lot of incredible moments with them and I know that there will be many more to come. It's surprising to see how much my musical tastes are expanding, which is made clear by the variety in this list alone. I'm interested to see if my favorite music of 2010 will follow be similar, or if it will throw even more strange stuff into my adored collection. Here's to another year of great music!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lovley list Kyle! :) I extremely agree with your #1. Thanks for showing it to me! I love it a ton! :)

    ReplyDelete