Saturday, January 2, 2010

Songs of the Moment 1/2/10 - 16 New Albums

That's right guys, sixteen albums for Christmas (I'll have you know that any and all money I received for Christmas also went towards these). Better than that, 12 of them came out in 2009 so there's a lot of brand new stuff here. You can't even imagine how much excitement has been whirling through my head over this past week and isn't even close to ending. I'll include one song from each, either my favorite or the one that best represents the mood of the whole album so you guys can get a good idea of the style of each one. I'll also focus more on the albums then the songs because I haven't listen to this stuff all that much yet and, therefore, haven't been able to pay attention to a lot of the songs closely. Since I've got to fit in more songs this time around, I'll stay brief, so here you go.

1. Misguided Ghosts by Paramore from Brand New Eyes
So I thought Paramore was alright before this album and there was always something I preferred to listen to, but they have really surprised me with this album. I might have not received this one if it weren't for my good friend Darrell, who made an excellent choice. A certain maturity reveals itself in this album, and my respect for Paramore. Because I received this album several days before Christmas, I know this album much better than any of the others and I'd recommend this one first and foremost because I know anyone would enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGYZC7_ReU

2. If The News Makes You Sad, Don't Watch It by Broken Records from Until the Earth Begins To Part
This is definitely the most musically beautiful album out of the bunch with it's outstanding violin, cello, and trumpet work, on top of the usual rock instruments and extremely unique, soothing vocals. I could listen to this one forever. With a slight country flare to it, this album is definitely broadening my musical tastes further than I could have anticipated, but how could I turn this music away? This is probably the most obscure band here, so do them a favor and spread the word.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfQkgvuzbU

3. Backfire by Mute Math from Armistice
This album is the most powerful and energetic. It's got heavy beats, some nifty techno bits, and the meaningful lyrics that I always love Mute Math for. It also has some much more mellow bits with softer vocals mixed in here and there. Mute Math is soaring with all kinds of talent in this one. They're making me jealous. For you Stephanie Meyer fans, this album also includes the Twilight movie's theme "Spotlight". Oh, and don't let this music video distract you too much :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t7E7gEDk8

4. Where I Want To Be by The Dangerous Summer from Reach For The Sun
I was honestly a bit disappointed by this album with it's swearing and a few questionable themes, but the songs that are good and sweet make up for most of it. This song here is actually probably one of my top five songs of the entire year, and I've been heading to the internet nearly everyday just to listen to it on Youtube, but now I have it! Basically every song is about the things that go on in your mind while you're in love, and I'm in love with a lot of the special, heartful words in this unique album. (PS: isn't the music video cute?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_K1lywPZms

5. The Song You Sing by Creed
This is the album I was most excited for because Creed was my favorite band throughout my childhood and I was beyond devastated when they split up in 2005. Fortunately, they've reunited for another round and I love what they've become. I've read a lot on what they went through to get to this point and about how they've changed their lives for the better, using all of their experiences to build this album. If you're inspiration, this is the one for you. My only regret is that I didn't make it to their concert in Salt Lake last October. Hopefully I'll get another chance to see this inspiring band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbx0V9KI3Dg

6. Swan Song by Brightwood from Wake
I shared a song from these guys last week, and I'm glad to say that my collection of their music has since increased. This song is another that I've been addicted to for a couple of months now, and I'm thrilled that I now own it and can listen to it whenever I want! This is probably the most heartfelt, love-filled album out of the group, almost to point of causing tears in some cases. This is my most played out of my most recently acquired albums. I just can't get enough of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTHpUut8htI

7. Snakes by Great Northern from Remind Me Where The Light Is
Great Northern always manages to include some tiny catchy part to their songs that I can't get out of my head. In this case, it's a simple, two note sequence, but every song has a little something that draws you back. I personally always love man/woman vocal mixes in any song, and Great Northern pulls it off in a fantastic way.
http://www.last.fm/music/Great+Northern/_/Snakes?autostart

8. Electric Twist by A Fine Frenzy from Bomb In A Birdcage
This album is a lot different from past stuff I've heard from A Fine Frenzy, especially this song, but I think it's generally a lot more catchy, and it's catchyness that matters when you're deciding between your sixteen new albums :) (You should try it one time!). With amazing vocals and interesting instrument parts, as always, A Fine Frenzy has expanded their musical flavor and that's what I like to see with developing musicians.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT69Y8uxWUI

9. Blame It On The Girls by Mika from The Boy Who Knew Too Much
You couldn't have forced me to listen to this album a few years ago. I don't know what's changed since then, but I'm in a Mika craze right now, even though this type of music is stretching my musical taste more than anything ever has. I don't why this guy isn't insanely famous by now because his music gives me such an awesome feeling, not to mention a strong urge to dance. The crazy pop aside, Mika has some really powerful mellow songs, including one where he is joined by Imogen Heap. The diversity is outstanding and I know it will have me craving this album no matter what mood I'm in. (This music video is also very bizarre, be careful)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsO-V6bqiDE

10. Don't Haunt This Place by The Rural Alberta Advantage from Hometowns
I've had this song for a while now and somehow I keep forgetting how charming and special it is. The rest of album includes other such gems, but it's the type of music that, for some reason, I know will never have much of a standing in today's music world. It's sad that the majority of people today can't respect this sort of stuff. Forget what the band's reputation, forget what the critics are recommending. Go out there and find your own music, that's the only way you can find the really cool stuff like this. Sometimes you all you need is good music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdrkZMYpA

11. Die Happy, Die Smiling by Maps from Turning The Mind
I love techno, but this is the only electronic album I received for Christmas. It's the second album from Maps, and it maintains same awesome mood that I love from Maps that I can't find anywhere else. I've only listened straight through it once, but I noticed many cool techno rhythms that could easily soon become addictions for me. I think it will take a while to grow on me, like the last Maps album did, but this album seems more than promising for me at this point.
http://www.last.fm/music/Maps/_/Die+Happy%2C+Die+Smiling?autostart

12. Razoreyes by Elevation from Strangelove
Here it is, my favorite album out of all sixteen so far. This one blew me away, especially because I almost didn't get it and I wasn't expecting much when I started it up, but it had me right from the start. Every song is so energetic, but also sweet and mellow. There are at least ten songs (out of a whopping 14!) that are in the running for my favorite from the album. They are all that good. Elevation is already one of my favorite bands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XR8kAsab0

13. Put The Phone Down by Pilot Speed from Wooden Bones
I fell in love the other album I have from Pilot Speed, and this one already has a few songs that have really captured my attention. After a few more listens, I know it will have me hooked. My favorite part about this album and about Pilot Speed is the vocals, they make every song mellow and soothing no matter what's going on with the instruments. This is the type of music that I respect the most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WfTxeG5N4

14. For Real by Time And Distance from Gravity
This is probably the most disappointing of the bunch, although I really didn't expect anything fabulous from it. It's just that i'm not all that into the teeny pop music. I do admit it though, this album has got some pretty dang catchy melodies, more so than any other music in the genre. It also has some really cool piano parts, and lyrics that are more meaningful than those of similar bands. I'm hoping that it will grow on me, but for now it's near the bottom of my to-listen list out of these albums.
http://www.last.fm/music/Time+and+Distance/_/for+real?autostart

15. Hospital by Lydia from Illuminate
So there I was, struggling to pick the last album I would get. There were four albums that I just couldn't decide between and I knew my gift card amount would only allow one more. So I got on to Youtube to listen to some samples, and I see a song by Lydia in the Related Videos column. I take a listen and there it was, my last pick, just like that! I surprised myself with this purchase, but Lydia is definitely deserving of my money. The atmospheric nature of their songs is enchanting, almost hypnotic. There is also a lot of passion behind these words and notes. I'm more than pleased to have added Lydia to my music collection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsBzKtS-fU

16. Unaware by The Midway State from Holes
I've been searching for a tangible cd from these guys for some time now. It's been tough because their from Canada, but I finally got a hold of their album. I would have include Never Again here instead of last week, but this was another last minute pick and so I'll share another song with you. This guys know how to make music better than most. I personally love the piano parts the most, but every instrument contributes tremendous parts, all greatly improving by charming vocals. This album is impressive, to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAz019rsjY

There they are. The most albums I've ever received at one time before this was six, so this has all been really interesting. It's definitely been harder to connect to the songs, but my excitement is seriously at a dangerous level right now, haha. It will be fun to sort it all out in my mind as I continue to listen to this music diligently in the months to come. I hope something caught your attention and if it did, I would love for you to follow up on this music and at least give these artists a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment