Saturday, May 22, 2010

Because I could not stop for death

This is my version of Emily Dickinson's "Because I could not stop for death"

Because I could not stop for death
He kindly stopped for me
He offered his hand as I stepped in
A sound journey-his guarantee

He took the reins and on we went
With endless time to spare
I threw away each doubt and sigh
I tossed my every care

On the horizon first, a soaring dove
Its peace I did surely crave
Now on the right, a dying tree
Twas beautiful, but also grave

The horses galloped faster
As death cracked his flaming whip
I shivered as I caught the truth:
This was no welcome trip

Then suddenly, the wheels were still
A new figure appeared ahead
A powerful, bold stance had he
“This ends now,” he said

I leaped to the ground as quick I could
This bright man I could not deny
For his name was life and his home was earth
It was not my time to die

1 comment:

  1. Great kyle! i have always liked the original and i lOVE your version! it's great

    ReplyDelete